Life, liberty and the happiness of a warm gun?
Our local lunatic scene
A couple of years back Donal Blaney put up a piece on the web. It was the stereotypical juvenile rightist bleat, decrying a Rhode Island school principal's objection to a student choosing to be depicted for the college yearbook complete with body-amrour and weapon:
The humourless principal at Portsmouth High School, Robert Littlefield, has said that the flagrant wielding of a potentially dangerous weapon was a clear violation of school regulations...As we all expected, buried in the text is that unoriginal expression:
What is truly dangerous are the attitudes and actions of men such as Patrick's headteacher, Robert Littlefield. Their zeal in curtailing the rights of otherwise law-abiding people highlights the very worst in the human condition.
It is not Patrick's High School graduation photo that should be removed from his yearbook - it is Robert Littlefield who should be removed from Portsmouth High School and attitudes such as his that should be removed from America's classrooms.
Surely this is yet another example of political correctness gone mad...Blaney is, of course, the epitome of the self-regarding "libertarian" Young Tory who cites Enoch Powell on racial topics. Others speak nearly as well of him ("hypocrite, political whore and torture fan") as he does of himself.
Guilty by unfortunate association
The site which gave Blaney space was the alternative mouthpiece of Tim Montgomerie of ConservativeHome. Then it ran under the title of "Britain and America"; last year it was reborn as "America in the World", launched by David Cameron, and puffed by the Daily Telegraph and by saturnine Harry Phibbs (so no conflict of interest there) in the Daily Mail .
The whole libertarian lot seem fixated on guns:
... the argument about guns is still worth having, and the libertarian case about it is still worth putting, if only as part of spreading libertarianism generally. Just because gun laws aren't about to be relaxed, that doesn't mean they shouldn't be. Whatever the crime rate, relaxing the gun laws would lower it, and not to relax them is wrong, stupid and cruel, to the real victims of crime, namely the victims of crime.And, as surely as darkest night follows bright, shining morning, the irksome Sean Gabb:
As the old saying goes: "God made men equal, and Smith and Wesson make damn sure it stays that way."The wider world
... can you seriously agree with the argument that you should be disarmed, and therefore powerless to defend yourself and your loved ones against the armed street trash who are beginning to turn this country upside down?
Today, hearing from Winnenden and Alabama, we await to hear from the likes of these pundits why giving the disturbed guns, that they may shoot up the neighbourhood, and schools in particular, is a good thing.
So, in the meantime, let's have the scorecard for previous school and college shootings (only after painstaking effort, compiling this list, did Malcolm discover a more complete one of all shootings, fatal and less so, though not up-to-date):
- Barry Loukaitis, Moses Lake, WA; 2 Feb 1996: 3 dead;
- Thomas Hamilton, Dunblane, Scotland; 13 March 1996: 18 dead;
- Evan Ramsey, Bethel, AK; 19 Feb 1997: 3 dead;
- Mohammed Ahman al-Naziri, Sanna, Yemen; March 1997: 8 dead;
- Luke Woodham, Pear, MS; 1 Oct 1997: 3 dead;
- Michael Carneal, West Padukah, KY; 1 Dec 1997: 3 dead;
- Johnson and Golden, Jonesboro, AK; 24 March 1998: 5 dead;
- Andrew Wurst, Edinboro, PA; 24 April 1994: one dead;
- Jacob Davis, Fayetteville, TN; 19 May 1998: one dead;
- Kip Kinkel, Springfield, OR; 21 May 1998: 4 dead;
- Harris and Klebold, Littleton, CO; 20 April 1999: 15 dead;
- [Unknown], Taber, Alberta; 28 April, 1999: one dead;
- Victor Cordova, Deming, NM; 19 Nov 1999: one dead;
- An unnamed six-year-old, Flint, MI; Leap Year's Day 2000: one dead;
- [Unknown], Branneberg, Germany; March 2000: one dead, one brain-dead;
- Darell Ingram, Savannah, GA; 10 March 2000: two dead;
- Nate Brazall, Lake Worth, FL; 26 May 2000: one dead;
- [Unknown], Baltimore, MD; 17 January 2001: one dead;
- [Unknown], Jan, Sweden, 18 Jan 2001: one dead;
- Charles Williams, Santee, CA; 5 March 2001: two dead;
- Donald Burt, Gary, IN; 30 March 2001: one dead;
- Chris Buschbacher, Cary, MN; 12 Nov 2001: one dead (the gunman, after taking two hostages);
- [Unkown], Freising, Germany; 19 Feb 2002; four dead;
- Robert Steinhaeuser, Erfurt, Germany; 26 April 2002: 17 dead;
- Dragoslav Petkovic, Vlasenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina; 29 April 2002: two dead;
- Robert Flores, Tucson, AZ; 28 Oct 2002: four dead;
- Four teenagers, New Orleans, LA; 14 April 2003: one dead;
- James Sheets, Red Lion, PA; 24 April 2003: two dead;
- John McLaughlin, Cold Spring, MN; 24 Sept 2003: two dead;
- "Raphael", Carmen de Patagones, Argentina; 28 Sep 2004: three dead;
- Jeff Weise, Red Lake, MN; 21 Mar 2005: 10 dead;
- [Unknown], Jacksboro, TN; 8 Nov 2005: one dead;
- Christopher Williams, Essex, VT; 24 Aug 2006: two dead;
- Kimveer Gill, Montreal, Canada; 13 Sep 2006: two dead;
- [Unknown], Bailey, CO; 27 Sep 2006; two dead;
- [Unknown], Cazenovia, WI; 29 Sep 2006; one dead;
- Charles Roberts, Nickel Mines, PA; 3 Oct 2006; six dead;
- Cho Seung-Hui, Blacksburg, VA; 16 April 2007; 33 dead (the current US record);
- Asa Coon, Cleveland, OH; 10 Oct 2007; one dead;
- [Unknown], Tuusula, Finland; 7 Nov 2007; 9 dead;
- [Unknown], Baton Rouge, LA; 8 Feb 2008; three dead;
- Stephen Kazmierczak, DeKalb, IL; 14 Feb 2008; six dead;
- [Unknown], Kauhajoki, Finland; 23 Sep 2008; ten dead;
- [Unknown], Fort Lauderdale, FL; 12 Nov 2008; one dead.
- Tim Kretschmer, Winnenden, Baden-Wurttenberg; 11 Mar 2009; at least sixteen.
True libertarians, at least those who have graduated from effort of colouring-in their Margaret Thatcher and Ronnie Reagan biogs-for-teenies, will have their bedside Ayn Rand book-marked with at least a .38 LadySmith.
Expect a further outburst of their all-purpose solution: armed teachers. Sphere: Related Content